Space & Time Experimental Video: Penis Envy

 "Ours is a brand-new world of allatonceness. "Time" has ceased, "space" has vanished. We now live in a global village... a simultaneous happening. We are back in an acoustic space. We have begun again to structure the primordial feeling, the tribal emotions from which a few centuries of literacy divorced us".

My video concept tracks back in time to Sigmund Freud's philosophy of "Penis Envy", the idea that young women experience anxiety upon the realization that they don't have a penis. I think there are modern equivalents to this sexist idea... men think moody women just need some "dick". Men rationalize women's emotions.

This project is an aggressive representation of my hands tearing apart male genitalia to let men know that penises do not control me, my thoughts, or my emotions. This is my message to a man who died almost a century ago because I, as a woman in 2022, have a voice that can reach the whole world through modern technology.

I experimented with time by speeding the video to 200%. I wanted to be able to capture as much destruction as possible, while still keeping the sounds of the squelching bananas distinguishable. 

I didn't do much editing, just turned the saturation and contrast up a bit, because overall I wanted a raw look to the video. 


Penis Envy

Comments

Popular Posts